The Purchasing Buyer Planner has overall responsibility to effectively execute our planning and purchasing process while leveraging vendor relationships, effective negotiations, and influence skills. The buyer planner engages as a business partner with internal Rackspace departments and key supply chain stakeholders, building a solid rapport with internal constituents while managing supplier relationships.
Operates as a subject matter expert for procurement policies, processes, systems and tools (Oracle). Mentors others on the purchasing team, leads procure-to-pay projects, communicates across the supply chain management team, and influences internal constituents.
Seeks and implements process improvements to enhance the customer, internal constituent, and supplier experience. Executes processes and transactions within internal controls and ensures compliance with control activities associated with Sarbanes Oxley.
- Performs purchasing execution against the demand plan for hardware (compute, storage and networking equipment and components), software and services, utilizing available Rackspace-owned supply where available to minimize capital expenditure.
- Owns the supply chain from identified need for a product or service through the expenditure approval workflow to delivery and receipt ensuring the product or service requestor is effectively updated with expected delivery date.
- Collaborates with product, strategic sourcing, demand planning, deployment and inventory departments to facilitate new product offerings, end-of-life activities, inventory re-order levels and purchasing catalog alignment to ensure hardware, software and/or services are available to meet Rackspace customer requirements.
- Responsible for supporting customer implementations where hardware, software, and services are deployed in a data center. Buyer planners support customer implementations with order creation and scheduling, selection of logistics mode, management of supply shortages with suppliers, intra-company inventory transactions, and communication of supply-demand balance to internal Rackspace teams.
- Utilizes material requirements planning aligned to the demand plan. Recommends and facilitates improvements in Oracle to simplify material requirements planning.
- Understands current worldwide market for assigned category / commodities and trigger points to strategically purchase components globally with approved suppliers.
- Develops and maintains relationships with suppliers and investigates sources of materials, equipment, and supplies to minimize interruptions in the supply chain.
- Manages internal catalogs, keeping item attributes and prices aligned with current master price lists; Optimizes item master table with input from engineering teams on standard versus non-standard purchases.
- Guides and assists team members and business partners on procurement best practices, e-procurement technology, and supplier relationship management practices in conjunction with the sourcing team.
- Makes decisions based on metrics for spend analysis, purchase price variance and on-time delivery performance reporting and advises sourcing team on local and global spend strategies.
- Analyzes supplier performance data and drives supply quality / performance management discussions with suppliers, partnering with sourcing team.
- Consistently delivers on complex assignments requiring independent action and initiative to deliver outcomes.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Manages large projects to transform the procure-to-pay process, and other projects inside and outside the supply chain organization.
- Develops supply chain skills to support global planning and fulfillment team.